Don’t be spooked by recycling this Halloween. It’s easier than you might think.
Halloween is one of the year’s most anticipated holidays, and we all love it. Scary masks, Pumpkins, and trick or treat are all so much fun.
While we’d hate to spoil any fun, did you know Halloween can harm our environment? We know this would never be your aim, so here are some Tips for a happy Halloween that’s also healthier for our lovely planet.
Use recycled or upscaled materials.
- Try making your costume using recyclable items this Halloween. You can create a costume using old bits of fabric or bedsheets to create ghosts, witches, or any character that comes to mind. You can also use cardboard boxes to build robots, spaceships or any other fun object.
Hire your costume instead of buying.
- Often, Halloween costumes are used just once and then disposed of. Why not hire a costume instead of buying one. This way, it will be used many times instead of just once, reducing waste.
Sweet Sweet Recycling.
Think about the sweets you purchase and if their wrappers are recyclable or if you could make your own and pass them out in paper wrapping. There are some brands out there that have moved to paper sweetie wrappers. We encourage the use of recyclable wrappers over plastic.
Pumpkin it up!
- Use a real pumpkin instead of a plastic one, and carve some Spooktacular cut-outs. Involve the whole family, make it fun, and see who can create the best design.
Afterwards, instead of throwing away the pumpkin, use the carcass to feed the critters in your garden. Simply dig a hole, place the pumpkin carcass, and cover it up. Nature will do the rest.
- Don’t just throw your old pumpkins in the bin. You may not know that decomposing pumpkins in landfills release methane gas into the atmosphere. This gas is 80 times more potent than carbon dioxide. Instead, freeze and thaw them, turning them into mush for composting.
- Last but not least, keep your decorations and reuse them, or for something more unique, make your own and involve the whole family.
Let’s try to recycle, reuse, and reduce our environmental impact this Halloween and have fun.
By following these tips from DOW Group UK, you can do your part in creating a greener future for all.
Dow cares. Do you?
Have a Happy Green Halloween!